The Division of Personnel Standards and Education (PS&E) is responsible for assisting local governments in improving the levels of education and training standards for local firefighters.
This division manages a program of training and certification for over 50,000 firefighters in Illinois. The program involves developing standards, utilizing the input of SCAC Committee members, for training, testing and certifying at all levels including: firefighting, fire prevention, public education, fire investigation, fire department management and specialties including apparatus driver, airport firefighter, hazardous materials and rescue.
The Division of Personnel Standards and Education also administers the Claims for Reiimbursement program for firefighter training costs.
The PSE Web Access Program will give fire departments access to our Personnel Standards and Education system. They will be able to update contact information and rosters. Fire Departments are able to search and request the following: Course Completion Rosters, Request for Examinations and Applications for Certification. Reports will be available for Firefighter Courses and Classes.
For more information about the program, please call (217) 782-4542 or Email the Division of Personnel Standards and Education
Notice regarding recent changes to the PS&E Web Access Program
The Office of the State Fire Marshal has developed a new Division of Personnel Standards and Education’s (DPSE) WebAccess site that is utilized to participate with the certification program. The new site was implemented Tuesday, June 2, 2015.
The new site allows the capability for all Illinois firefighters, who are employed by a fire department, to create their own User ID and Password to access their individual records.
An item of importance; as Fire Chief, you have the capability to allow "permissions" for selected members on your department. "Permissions" allow the individual access to the fire department records. For Example: Update roster, submit for a course completion, apply for a certification, schedule a test date, submit for new course approval, etc.
If no additional permissions are granted, the firefighter will be able to create their own account, view their individual records and print exam results and certificates only.
Link for PSE Web Access: https://webapps.sfm.illinois.gov/CommonDBWebUpdate
- The new PSE WebAccess is convenient for the Illinois Firefighters who participate with the certification program to have immediate access to their personal records.
- The new PSE WebAccess allows additional and more stringent security of fire department records by only allowing the Fire Chief to decide who will have access. These permissions can be modified by the Fire Chief at any time.
- E-mail verification is required at the time of registration. The account will remain disabled until such time as the verification e-mail is completed. Please check spam folder if e-mail is not received.
- Please notify all fire department members that when registering, their name and Driver’s License number must match exactly as listed on the fire department roster. For Example: A member’s proper name is Timothy and is listed as Timothy on the Fire Department roster. The firefighter must register as Timothy, not Tim. If the individual registers with the name Tim, the registration process will produce and error. Also, if a member is a Junior, Senior, II, or III, the abbreviations, commas and periods must match exactly as listed on the fire department roster.
- Firefighters employed by multiple departments will only require one registration. Once registered, a drop-down box will be available at the top right corner to switch between departments. If "permissions" are allowed for one department, the firefighter will have access to that specific department only. The firefighter will only be able to view their own records on the other departments if no "permissions" are granted.
The FD e-mail account will remain the same and will continue to be utilized to communicate important information from the OSFM. The logon and password for the FD e-mail account will not change.
If you have questions or require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the staff of the Division of Personnel Standards and Education.
Prerequisites needed for all Certification levels [PDF, 90KB]
Additional Certification Information