Fire Safety Checklist
- Test Your Smoke Alarm - Install a smoke alarm on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Test the smoke alarms once a month and change the batteries twice a year.
- Plan Your Escape - Create and practice a home escape plan with your family.
- Keep Matches and Lighters in a Safe Area - Always keep matches and lighters stored high in a locked cabinet or a locked box. Kids imitate adults, set a safe example.
- Cook Safely - Never leave cooking unattended and keep the cooking area clutter free.
- Give Space Heaters Space - Keep anything that can burn three feet away from portable heaters.
- Extinguish Smoking Materials - Before emptying the contents of an ashtray into the trash, wet the contents.
- Electrical Safety - Replace damaged electrical cords and repair or replace appliances that smell, smoke, or overheat.
For more information: (217) 785-0969
The Office of the State Fire Marshal would like to share with Public Educators around the state, fire prevention and safety programs offered in the state of Illinois.
If you would like to share your public education program(s) to post on this page, please call us at (217) 557-4280 or email Public Education.
OSFM will only accept non-for profit educational programs.